Hi,

> On 28 Aug 2018, at 09:49, Stéphane Laurière <slauri...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>
> Vincent Massol:
>> Hi Stephane,
>>> On 28 Aug 2018, at 08:55, Stéphane Laurière <slauri...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to contribute an extension that will display page preview
>>> popovers when hovering wiki links, similarly to what MediaWiki offers:
>>>
>>>  https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews
>>>  https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/05/09/page-previews-documentation/
>> Sounds nice. Do you plan to implement it as a Rendering Transformation
>> (similar to what the Glossary app do) or as Javascript code?
>
> Actually I had not considered the rendering transformation option. At first
> glance, plain JavaScript code seems more lightweight to me without any
> downside but if you see pros for using a transformation, please let me know.

The downsides of the Transformation approach are:
* currently requires the user to modify xwiki.properties and restart the wiki
* makes page rendering take longer when the transformation is active (tree
traversal)

I also think that JS is better suited here than Transformation. I mentioned it
to be complete.

> There's one issue with plain JavaScript at the moment though: the Bootstrap
> popover feature in version 3.x adds a div next to the clicked element. In our
> case, this means adding a div to the surrounding span.wikilink, which is not
> allowed in HTML5. However, Bootstrap 4 popovers work differently: they're
> added as direct childs of the body:
> https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/components/popovers/ so the issue will be
> fixed once we migrate. What do you think? Can we live with a div in a span
> for now?

That’s not valid HTML so not sure it’s a good idea.

>>> Its name could be 'application-page-preview-popover' - what do you think?
>>> As discussed with Caty yesterday, the extension will use the Bootstrap
>>> popovers. Should you have any need or suggestion, please let me know.
>> So it depends on the technology you wish to use. If it’s a transformation, I
>> would name it "transformation-preview”. If it’s JS/webjar, I guess you’ll
>> need a JSX object to load it so I guess "application-page-preview” would be
>> fine.
>
> I see, but in any case, with or without a transformation, I think we will
> need some JS + CSS code anyway, won't we?

Yes indeed

> As far as I can see, the glossary extension is an application containing a
> transformation, so we could go for "application-page-preview" as well, with
> or without transformation, what do you think?

Right, for Glossary the reason it was an “application” was because there’s an
app :) Used to define all the glossary items (one per page). It’s a FAQ-like
app.

However "application-page-preview” is ok for me.

Thanks
-Vincent