Hi, Stephane.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 10:49 AM Stéphane Laurière <slauri...@xwiki.com>
wrote:

> Vincent Massol:
> > Hi Stephane,
> >
> >> On 28 Aug 2018, at 08:55, Stéphane Laurière <slauri...@xwiki.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I would like to contribute an extension that will display page preview
> popovers when hovering wiki links, similarly to what MediaWiki offers:
> >>
> >>   https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews
> >>   https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/05/09/page-previews-documentation/

Sounds like a nice extension!

However, how are you going to extract the "summary" of a page? In
Wikipedia, pages have a certain structure and, at the beginning of each
page, you have at least the first paragraph that is describing the
resource. Even the Wikipedia API allows you to get the "extract"
(summary/topic) of a page and that is what the Wikipedia feature is using
as text content to display in that preview popup.

In XWiki, the usecases are not defined and you could have anything inside a
page. Do you plan to show the entire page content inside that preview? Do
you plan to have an empirical approach in order to get some sort of summary
by e.g. displaying just the first paragraph as well? What's the approach?

> > Sounds nice. Do you plan to implement it as a Rendering Transformation
> (similar to what the Glossary app do) or as Javascript code?

Definitely  JavaScript + REST API would be the way to go here, to avoid
rendering, at display time, all the linked pages on the server side. Each
preview should be obtained when the user asks for it, i.e. when displaying
the preview. Optimisations could be done to prefetch the data, but that
would also increase the network traffic and server load, while improving
the user experience (i.e. not having to wait for the preview popup to load
its content).

> Actually I had not considered the rendering transformation option. At
> first glance, plain JavaScript code seems more lightweight to me without
> any downside but if you see pros for using a transformation, please let me
> know. There's one issue with plain JavaScript at the moment though: the
> Bootstrap popover feature in version 3.x adds a div next to the clicked
> element. In our case, this means adding a div to the surrounding
> span.wikilink, which is not allowed in HTML5. However, Bootstrap 4 popovers
> work differently: they're added as direct childs of the body:
> https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.0/components/popovers/ so the issue will
> be fixed once we migrate. What do you think? Can we live with a div in a
> span for now?

I'm not really sure what you mean. When the popover is displayed, a div is
indeed created with javascript and added as sibling to the popover trigger
element. If you make the "span" element the trigger instead of the link,
then you would get perfectly valid HTML. Example with Bootstrap 3:
http://jsfiddle.net/vqT5f/1322/

Thanks,
Eduard