On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:17 PM Vincent Massol <vinc...@massol.net> wrote:

> [...]
> > holiday season and start fresh in January. Anyone working during the
> > Holidays can start on N+1.0 or work on bugfixes for N.11.1.
> > * In both cases, N+1.0 should be same at the end of January, not
> February.
> > ** Why would it have to be end of February, and thus lose a release, as
> > mentioned in your "Cons" section?
> > ** I get it if it comes as a new proposal to double the length of N.0 to
> 2m
> > instead of 1 (for which I'd be +0, since I prefer less exceptions, if
> > possible), but I don't get it if we see it as a consequence of how we
> > handle holidays.
> >
> > Side note: While trying to understand how all of this works, I can't but
> > help to notice how the week-based calculations don't add up, since a
> month
> > is 4.3(3) weeks long and everything planned around weeks is bound to be
> > distorted when you look at it by months. IMO, it would make more sense to
> > reason in terms of months (synchronized with our 12 releases cycle) and
> say
> > things like "last Monday of December". Not sure how easy it would be to
> > work with... just food for thought.
>
> Some comments:
>
> 1) We already work by months, see
> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Roadmaps/#HXWiki10.xCycle. When we
> plan a given release we adjust (a bit more days or a bit less days) so that
> it’s released before the end of the month.
>
> 2) If I sum up your proposal A) it’s about saying that the last release
> would be shorter than the other ones. Say half a month vs one month (we
> can’t guarantee 3 weeks vs 1 month IMO since there can be delays for the
> previous release, people on early holidays, etc).
>
> Pros and cons of option A vs option B:
>
> * More logical, feel nice to have 12 releases for 12 months and to “fully”
> finish the N cycle before new year starts (in practice it’s false, see
> below).
> * More stressful, little margin for error and less time for the last
> release
> * No time at all planned for the bug fix release we need to do for the
> LTS. That’s the biggest issue for option A and what we saw in practice over
> the past years: we start the new cycle at beginning of Jan and at the same
> time we have to do the bug fix release for the LTS. In practice this
> usually means that N+1.0 has little progress in it.
>
> Note that what we did in the past was slightly different:
> * We planned for 11 releases (and not 12).
> * We said that the end of the year (last month) was 2 stabilization
> releases of 2 weeks each (no RCs).
>
> IMO if we want to fully finish by end of year we need to include at least
> one bugfix release for the LTS before the end of the year, which means
> stopping the dev at end of November (i.e. N.10) and then do a first bugfix
> release (N.10.1) for mid December and a last bugfix release (N.10.2) from
> Mid December to early January (2nd or 3rd of Jan).

I also like this version because:
* It encapsulates a cycle only in a year span, for example 10.x would go
mainly in 2018, not spanning also in January 2019. Yes, we will still have
other bugfixes, since it becomes the LTS, but they have a secondary focus,
not a primary one.
* Releasing bugfix releases is more easy than major releases, so it might
be easier / faster and help with the holiday period.

Thanks,
Caty