Hi Ashish,

> On 21 May 2019, at 19:37, Ashish Sharma <sharma.ashish...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
> Thanks for having me here
>
> About Me
>
> I am Ashish Sharma, selected as a student for Google Summer of Code. I am
> final year student enrolled in Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University,
> Delhi. I am a resident of India.
>
> Profiles
> GitHub -  https://github.com/ashish932/xwiki-helm-chart/
> LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashish932/
> Riot - @ashish932:matrix.org
>
> I will be presenting my project "Helm Chart for XWiki" to all of you.
> Following
> are the relevant details.
>
> Helm Chart for XWiki
>
> Mentors: Shubham Jain, Neha Gupta
>
> Technologies: Kubernetes, Docker, other if required
>
> Overview
> The proposed project is a helm chart that would deploy xwiki as highly
> available and reliable. It should be configurable with different
> databases(either a standalone database or a clustered one) that are
> configurable with xwiki. It would give the option to either configure solr
> externally (standalone or clustered) or managed within the container.

It also needs to be deployed on various Servlet Containers and with a
LibreOffice server configured.

In short, it should support all the configurations supported by the official
XWiki Docker images :)

> It
> should deploy the app on a shared file system like a rook. It should
> support Istio virtual services, istio matrix, and istio distributed tracing
> and should be a secured system with RBAC and security credential rotation.

Ok I have no knowledge about this… The shared file system sounds good to
support clustering XWiki for the permanent directory sharing.

> The chart should be easily deployed on GKE and amazon EKS.

On locally on minikube for testing I guess?

> Features
>
> ->  Support for different Databases
> ->  Choice between using an external database, a single node DB or a
> multi-cluster DB setup
> -> Support for shared file system
> -> Support for istio and it's services
> -> RBAC, SSL and other security methods
>
> If you have any features in mind that should be added please feel free to
>
> Some Design Questions?
> -> Which Databases should be supported?

See
https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/SupportStrategy/DatabaseSupportStrategy

More generally see the XWiki Docker image documentation and
https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/SupportStrategy

> -> As we have to detach solr out of the docker container(run it in an
> independent container) would be there a requirement for a code change, and
> we should approach it?

See the doc for Solr which explains how to configure an external SOLR. There
are some XWiki code/config to deploy in the external SOLR AFAIR.

> -> Apart from solr is there any other stateful service that could or should
> be detached from the docker container?

Which docker container are you referring to? The Servlet Container one?

> Here is my current repository which deploys XWiki for MySQL database using
> official XWiki docker container:-
> https://github.com/ashish932/xwiki-helm-chart/

Will need to have a look. Some additional questions:

1) Is there an official place for publishing helm charts, similar to dockerhub
for docker images? How do you provide the helm charts to XWiki users in term of
packaging? In other words, what will we/you document on
https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/ ?

2) How do you plan to have smoke tests for the XWiki Helm charts, as part of
the build, to verify that they work fine? How can we execute XWik’s functional
tests based on TestContainers using Helm Charts?

3) Do the helm charts for XWiki need to be built? If so, can it be done with
Maven? Since we’ll be offering several I guess, how do you avoid code
duplication and make maintenance of them as simple as possible?

4) Could you provide a roadmap with various milestones and dates? See the last
roadmap email I sent on the devs list and please reply to it.

5) It seems you missed the bonding period so you’ll need to catch up on that.
Could you pick some jira issue and work on them quickly? This is to make sure
you use the proper xwiki communication channels, learn to work with the xwiki
team and start understanding the xwiki architecture, and how extensions are
developed for XWiki. Since you’re a bit late, you’ll need to catch up and
achieve this very quickly now and be present full time on the xwiki chat :)

6) Idea: please review the issues on the XWiki Docker project’s jira. Maybe you
can help with those too as part of onboarding/bonding. It should also give you
additional use cases for the XWiki Helm Charts IMO.

Thanks! I’m eager to follow your work and see xwiki helm charts in action.

-Vincent