Hi

There are 4 places one could use these regex's:
1. in the browser - client side validation
2. in the framework action/interceptors (
http://struts.apache.org/2.1.8.1/docs/validation.html)
3. in the object persist methods
4. post fact validation checks.

There are lots of examples of validation with regex using javascript.  Not
much to say.

Regarding 2 it is a natural way to proceed but it won't affect import which
doesn't use the web interface.

Regarding 3 we do need to be aware of those places where we bypass the
object model.  But where the object model is being used it is not difficult
to validate with a regex on save.  Of course we have to find the
corresponding regex.  That is really the first problem to solve.  Where to
find the regex within the model.

Leaving values out of the picture for a while it might make sense to start
with names.  We have many named objects and the way we name then is
frequently very important as the names also act as primary identifiers.  We
need somehow to add a class-wide string regex field for descendents of
NamedObjects (you might want two - one for name and one shortName, but maybe
start with name).  This way the regex should  be available to clients of
orgunit, dataelement, category etc

On importing from XML it is very natural and easy to do regular expression
based validation using something like schematron which can validate against
any xpath expression - but regex is only available in XPath2 which means
using saxon and there are some concerns about introducing a saxon
dependency.  (We might re-look at that).  Though there is also another
reason to perhaps not use regex validation on dataValues.  It will slow
things enormously for large imports.

It is also possible to do regular expression matching at the schema level
(using either RelaxNG or XSD) and validate via schema.  This might be the
most viable way to go though it would imply that the Zambia dxf schema would
have slightly different constraints to say the Tajik one.  And these schema
variations would have to be auto-generated somehow based on the local
database.

Regards
Bob