I agree this is tricky and there should be examples and correction in the
docs. Please go ahead and update the docs.
I mentioned Excel because many people have their data in that format, and
it's easy to either create csv in excel or create text strings with the
required xml code, which can then be pasted into a text editor. We should
probably aim to include examples of how to do this also.