Hi there,

the way application logging (e.g. tomcat logging) in DHIS 2 worked up to
now has not been ideal. Basically all log output has been sent to std out.
For the tomcat container this means all logging has ended up in
catalina.out under tomcat install dir > logs.

This is not great since there is no simple way (beside using logrotate or
other tools) to control the size of the log file or to specify custom
locations for DHIS 2-related log content. This could cause a server to
uncontrollably run out of disk space.

In DHIS 2.19 this has changed so that DHIS 2-related log output is sent to
the DHIS2_HOME location /logs (this is where you e.g. keep the
hibernate.properties file, set by an env variable). The system also
separates log output for the main background processes such as analytics
table generation and import-export into separate files, so that you can
easily look up errors/output for these without having to skim through lots
of other content. So we now have 4 log files:

<DHIS2_HOME>/logs/dhis.log
<DHIS2_HOME>/logs/dhis-analytics-table.log
<DHIS2_HOME>/logs/dhis-data-exchange.log
<DHIS2_HOME>/logs/dhis-data-sync.log

You can read more in the docs here:

https://www.dhis2.org/doc/snapshot/en/implementer/html/ch08s07.html

The system currently still logs to std out, as we wanted to introduce this
gradually and not cause confusion.

In 2.20 we plan to stop logging to std out (catalina.out) completely, and
only use the log files under DHIS2_HOME.

I am interested to hear if people are comfortable with this and if it
sounds like a good solution.

regards,

Lars