The idea that this is caused by malicious code is a bit far fetched.

An educated guess:

All of our "bundled" apps are now developed outside of the core code
repository. They are then pulled in at build time and bundled into the
final distribution war-file.

In practice this means that it's possible for a distribution built from the
same code base but at different times to contain different (minor) versions
of the bundles app(s). This would reflect in the file size of the final
artifact (and the hashes would differ, of course).

That said, 20 or so megs is a lot, so not sure exactly what's been going on
there. Maybe someone from the frontend team (Mark, looking at you) could
shed some light (or disprove my theory).

Halvdan Hoem Grelland
Software developer, DHIS 2
University of Oslo
http://www.dhis2.org <https://www.dhis2.org/>