Hello Alan,
I think we agree.

I said:

<<For example: we know that the poor nations aren't going to meet the
Millenium Development Goals for education by erecting buildings to teach and
house those now left untaught. The real choice is between online learning or
no learning.>>

In the US and the other richer nations more than 50 per cent of the college
age cohort is in college or has come college education. In Ghana it is 3%.

The existing colleges and universities are all at capacity, and beyond,
stuffing too many students into too few classrooms and lecture halls and
dormitories. For the untaught in West Africa "the real choice is between
online learning or no learning."

I think your "paperless homework" idea has much to commend it, and I think
the idea has implications for college learning as well. And offline learning
via ICT is indeed an important direction for improving instruction at all
levels.

I think it important, though, to insist the needs for higher education in
the poorer nations cannot be met by building more traditional "campuses.

Steve Eskow