Hi Tom and Taran

Plenty of food for thought for me, here.  Tom, you've completely lost me on
bayesian probability and fuzzy logic and truth values - this is way over my
head, sorry :)  Will pass on to techo-hubby for comment...

I like your comments about the need for dialogue and mutal respect in a
learning environment, along with some form of control as you suggest -
although exactly what what we are needing to control and why still requires
further examination.

Taran, I've also been thinking about the issue of certification, as I've
been reading Bourdieu's Forms of Capital (see a  previous posting).
According to Bourdieu, educational qualifications constitute cultural
capital that is easily transformed into economic capital because of the
value placed on them by society (or at least by those in power interested in
maintaining it).  I was thinking about how we say that education is the way
out of poverty and opression...what kind of education are we talking about,
though?  Notice that we don't say "lifelong learning" but "education".  This
implies that it's not the learning per se that serves to emancipate but
particular types/forms of knowledge and skill that can translate into
cultural capital through certification that can in turn be used for economic
purposes...I guess I'd better read Friere and find out what he says on the
matter.

I do agree that the internet - by virtue of its ubiquitous nature - is
serving to breach the walls of the ivory tower...but I still worry about
where this is leading us. Will all our efforts to bridge the digital divide
really serve those it is intended to serve?

Thanks for your responses.

CATHERINE