Well said, Oliver/ I'd like very much to know more about your study and your
findings.

Your underscoring of "the digital divide" as a "reflection of older social
divides" is crucial to those who want to work in this area.

I wonder if the idea of "community mapping" as a perspective and a set of
skills that the would-be practitioner in the area of the digital divide
needs developing.

The core notion, of course, is that every community has its own ecology, its
own array of social, economic, religious, and political divides, and those
sociotechnicalcutulural divides are usually far different than those the
outsider brings.

So: before undertaking to help heal the digital divide the practitioner may
need to do some mapping of that ecology within which he or she will work on
the matter the digital divide.

And: if the "map" reveals that the iotechnical cultural centers of a
particular community, the seats of attention and power, are ethnic or
religious organizations, that finding will be factored into the design and
placement of telecenters.

(Of course the Irish will write :telecentres": I have given up writing "Sp?"
in the margin of such spellings, since the Irish insist on this mistake!)

Cheers.

Steve Eskow

[EMAIL PROTECTED]