Hello Tom,

You said :
Why in a remote village in Bangladesh when the urban poor in the streets of
Dhaka mean you
could begin right after landing.

One reason I could think of is to stop migration. Young people from villages
tend to move to big cities to find a 'better living', or being attracted by the
choices. I came from a small village. After high school I left and went to the
capital and eventually went abroad 35 years ago. I am one of the lucky ones
because I am now in the same crowd as all of you, sitting infront of a PC and
tell the world the plight of the poor and less fortunate. Most time I just feel
down-right guilty.

Countries such as China ... constructions in cities attracted villagers. One
reason is, as a labourer, you don't need to know too much reading. Just pure
muscle. And miserable lives. I saw that in China, Singapore (that was in the
80s, where foreign workers from Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia lived in
deplorable conditions as compared to the local. The Malaysian faired better
since their home is only a hop away ...), now in Malaysia ...

Digital Divide, migrations, refugees, education, corruptions, tyrants etc. etc.
etc. ... go hand-in-hand. Taking care of one without managing the others is not
going to work. If we look at all the ills created by migrations at this present
moment in Europe, or any where eles in this world, then I am asking is DDN
looking at the right directions? Is DDN working with the right stakeholders and
partners? It has to be cohesive 'managing' and not with a one track mind of
solving just DD ... we have to solve the fundamental problems, help them to
build a solid foundations ...

These are all the work of policy-makers. But what do one see with policy
makers? POWER hunger. POWER mongel. GREED, DOMINATION .. Starting from the most
powerful nation on earth. IF the US would spend less time fighiting with UN and
EU, and give more constructive support, would it not be a better use of time
and resources? But what do we see just from one simple example ... the Tsunami
and earth-quake disaster in Asia ??? Or Darfur ??? Or the removal of the UN
Refugee commissioner ... why?

Digital divide is at the bottom of the list. Don't just give them fish. And
sometime I think we do more harm than good.

Cindy

Tom Abeles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Andy

The mobile phone and radio, as others, here, have suggested seems to
have been spot on. What we must also realize is that the many emerging
features of the mobile phone, including txt msgs, gps and even pda
capabilities are being actively deployed in the developed world for a
number of commercial uses that, in the past, would have required a pc.
Some applications, of course, require reading skills. But for many it is
not needed. A colleague has been in a car where four different
occupants were on cells in four different languages. The claim that
phone access is not available in some remote locations is less of a
problem than the regulatory issues within a country

As I have said elsewhere, the issues are at the institutional levels
more than in the technology arena. It seems that eager hands/minds in
the NGO and foundation community find it easier to embrace a village
project and rationalize it when a combined macro effort, with the stroke
of a pen could release more opportunity and allow those who want to work
in the field to be much more effective.

The other issue in the DD which relates to this is where exactly to
attack the problem. For example, working in a remote village is
interesting: but when compared to the number of disenfranchised who are
living on the streets of major urban areas driven out of the economc
dearth of the remote villages to the city, then bringing the digital
world to the urban poor seems to have leverage. Why in a remote village
in Bangladesh when the urban poor in the streets of Dhaka mean you could
begin right after landing.

thoughts?

tom abeles