Perhaps this is too obvious, but for heaven's sake, people, set your
character set correctly. Don't make my browser (or me) guess.

Living for the time being in the third world (though there are certainly far
poorer places), I think Netscape 4.75 probably is a little out of date. I
haven't seen it in quite a while. IE5.0 is probably a good base, and as far
as I can tell, people who don't use IE use Firefox or Mozilla. But that's
just Nicaragua. I do like the idea of 'degrading gracefully' in the absence
of CSS support. Sites that are written well enough for that are generally
also readable in lynx/w3m/links (and presumably TTS browsers) because their
HTML is mostly semantic, i.e., UL's for navigation bars. So even if you
accept as baseline a CSS-compliant browser, I'd keep that part of 508.

That was partly just a brain dump, sorry. Hope it was helpful.

Peter