(A version of this item with live links is available at
<http://blog.deborah.elizabeth.finn.com/blog/_archives/2005/7/12/1016492.html>.)

Dear Colleagues,

Now that some of us in the nonprofit sector are getting excited about
free and easy access to geographic information systems (GIS) through
Google Earth, I also want to call attention to a powerful and
effective tool that ought to be widely replicated: the Boston
Renaissance Resource Kit.

Let's say that you are an activist or advocate in Massachusetts, and
you want to understand (and teach others about) trends that affect the
issues and communities that you care about.  You can download this
free tool to your computer's desktop, and make use of its rich data
sets and graphical capabilities - even if you do not have formal
training in statistical analysis or the visual display of information.
This makes it ideal for grassroots groups that are working for
positive change in their communities, but that lack the financial and
human resources to create surveys of their own.

BRRK includes data from the Greater Boston Social Survey, the Boston
Indicator Project, and the U.S. Census.  It is very simple to select
the area that you serve, and set up cross-tabulations of variables
such as age, sex, ethnicity, education level, household type, and
employment status, and then convert the results into visually
appealing charts that can be added to web sites, annual reports, or
other presentations.  In this way, your organization can educate
itself, its stakeholders, and its potential funders about realities
that are sometimes counter-intuitive or difficult to grasp without a
visual display.

BRRK was created by Barry Bluestone of Northeastern University's
Center for Urban and Regional Planning, Barbara Hamilton of Hamilton
Analytics, and some other first-rate collaborators.  I hope that some
day nonprofit, grass-roots, and other mission-based organizations in
every region will have a tool as wonderful as the Boston Renaissance
Resource Kit.  And since the technological infrastructure has already
been built, and new regional data can be (at least in theory) be
dropped into it, this far from an impossible dream.

Best regards from Deborah

P.S.  A few caveats:

-      I have found that the BRRK download page doesn't show the
relevant link when view with Mozilla Firefox.  I haven't figured out
why this is the case, but had no trouble downloading BRRK while using
Microsoft Internet Explorer.  (I hate to mention this, because I
greatly prefer Firefox to Explorer - but the truth must be served.)

-     Once you have downloaded BRRK, it resides entirely on your
computer's desktop and does not make use of online connectivity.  It
is therefore a tool that has all the strengths and weaknesses of a
self-contained resource rather than one that is updated via the
internet.

-      BRRK takes up a lot of storage on your hard drive.  The
installation file alone is 51.5 MB.

Deborah Elizabeth Finn
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]