The link to the Denver Post article was working when I checked. The verbal
exchange reported in it speaks volumes about some popular attitudes about
language and identity in the US and perhaps beyond (though such activism for
monolingualism may be mainly an American phenomenon):
---------
"You need to speak English," Weatherford told Casillas.

"I am speaking English, but I can speak Spanish too," Casillas replied.

"You need to speak (English) all the time," Weatherford said.
---------

Language issues, including linguistic divides, are real ones. Attitudes about
language differences can use such differences as a rationale for conflict or
can turn them into opportunities for learning. (The library controversy also
involves a separate issue of inappropriate content for a public library, but
the two should not be confused.)

For any who are interested in discussing such multilingual/multicultural
(education) issues which may stray offtopic on DDN(?), there is a list run by
the Center for Multilingual, Multicultural Research at USC called MultiEd-L, to
which I will copy this reply. See:
http://www.usc.edu/dept/education/CMMR/CMMR_listserv.html

Don Osborn