From another list where Lars' question was cross-posted...

Katrin

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [dev] Re: [voter-mob] URGENT question about audio blogging/asterisk
Date:   Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:12:15 -0400
From:   Nathan Woodhull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You really can't do free form speech to text, at least on telephone
systems where the voice is not trained. What you can create, are
speech recognition applications that use constrained grammars, that
only allow the caller to say certain, predefined words or phrases.

The user interface for doing free form text input over the phone using
the keypad really doesn't work either.

What you could do is:

User calls in, enters zip code, records mp3 of personal story.
Subsequent callers can listen to personal stories by zip code - and
perhaps find a loved one.

"personal stories" could also be available as a podcast by geographic region.
In reality, most people, if they have access to a phone, can probably
just call someone who can contact their other relatives. I see this
being more useful for local, mobile podcasting.

Rather than the techincal question, it might be more useful if we knew
what ends Lars was trying to accomplish, exactly.

~Nathan

>> Lars Hasselblad Torres wrote:
>>
>>> I am a little naïve when it comes to phone blogging, so forgive the
>>> ignorance in my question -- efforts to improve communications
>>> post-Katrina,
>>> and to help put missing persons in touch with family have got me
>>> thinking
>>> about different opportunities.
>>>
>>> So my question is: are technologies out there that would allow
>>> someone to
>>> dial-in from any phone and enter their name and zipcode or payphone
>>> number
>>> by using the keypad and then have this information translated into
>>> text on
>>> the web via blog?  Might "sound like":
>>>
>>> 1) enter your last name; hit # key when done
>>> 2) enter your first name; hit # key when done
>>> 3) enter zip code you are in; hit # key
>>> 4) enter a phone # where you can be reached; hit # key
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> lars

Nathan Woodhull
aim: nathanwoodhull