I agree with MIchael.

Public policy making in the US seems to have been taken over by powerful,
wealthy, special interest
groups.  In many ways, it is a dinosauer that most of us cannot influence.
Those of  us working in
small charities and who lead intermediary efforts that connect people,
knowledge and resources,
are not even on the radar of most public leaders.

My goal is to connect individuals from around the country (and the world)
who want to help kids and
families who need more help, and who understand the power of
tutoring/mentoring to create a
personal bond between those who can help and those who need help. Using the
Internet we can
connect people and ideas, into a grassroots movement that can

a) solve some problems that government is not solving, using private sector
resources more
creatively and more efficiently than government programs; and
b) elect representatives who will be more responsive and provide more
leadership to the issues that
we raise

The result of point <a> and point <b> may make it unnecessary to have
government involved, or it
may provide motivation for government policies to evolve to a system that
is more consistent in its
support, and that distributes its help to all of the places where help is
needed, not just to a few high
profile places, and not just when the media is putting on the pressure.

While this may, or may not,  be the mission of the Digital Divide Network,
or many of those who
participate, it is the mission of the Tutor/Mentor Connection.  Thus, my
participation here is to share
ideas that others might use and to extend and invitation to anyone who
might want to participate in
T/MC events and actions that focus on point <a>.

Dan Bassill
Tutor/Mentor Connection
http://tutormentorconference.bigstep.com