> Harnessing the Sun as a way of sharing and showing why change may be
> necessary

I have work to do but this strand is so compelling that I digress.. and join
in,
Yesterday, I went to visit and saw this presentation.

Harnessing the Sun ( see below)

Thanks to Andy, I am also editing a book, on the use of ICT's in Education,
and the vendor and the philanthropic community have examples of outreach,
projects and resources. There have been interesting perspectives given on
education
the whole working part of the Global Forum on ICT's in Education. I had to
take off my Bonnie Bracey US perspective and listen and learn from a lot of
people.

In the end, we have a book. but the ideas that Taran proposes, ring true in
many ways.
Then I get mad because I am a woman and I have seen the possibilities of
changing the lives of women in the world, and so I continue to try.

Then, as a person interested in science, though the Jordanian men, did not
want me to teach science, I taught it and taught it well , teaching how to use
water, find water, all the applications needed to think about water education
sponsored by WEPIA, and we created handouts, and dvds to teach the science of
water.

Solving Jordan's Water Problems
By the People, For the People

By Francesca de Châtel

We have been thinking abouy the power of the sun for thousands of years. Each
culture has its own stories, but yesterday I was able to hear about solar
power and the way it can help in global ways, and there were some of the ideas
on
radio that we talked about , the solar powered radio, the wind up radio, the
various uses of solar and I thought , as I did in India when I had to help
women to help get the water for the day, there have to sometimes be better ways
to do whatever we want to do.

Children in many parts of the world can't do a lot of homework, good or bad
because after the sun goes down, there are few sources of light. I lived once
in an Indian village ( India) , and I have worked in the bush( a couple of days
its true), I laughed because homework can be a sore point. But then I
remembered that in one of the articles that was written for the book, they
talked
about girls not being able to receive an education because there was work to do
and they could not be spared from the home. We hold up our half of the sky and
some of the technologies that we speak of can make a better world in that
gathering water, fuel, wood, and the search for nutrition can be assuaged.
So the role of science in the information society is somewhat important. I
think.

Cultures can choose , if they like, what they want of it .... sometimes a
little guidance is needed.

                                Presented by
                 Nobel Laureates Walter Kohn and Alan Heeger

                               October 6, 2005
                 University of California Washington Center\

THE POWER OF THE SUN is a 56-minute film, telling the story of SOLAR POWER:
its history, and its current and future applications to the world's energy
needs.

The film is a scientific morality tale: how, starting from basic science,
there emerges one of the most promising technologies to help deal with the
great challenge of our time - ENERGY.   That is, finding economically
realistic, clean and safe energy sources to replace diminishing fossil
fuels, while energy demands of the developing world continue to grow
rapidly.

NASA has much to offer in the way of resources that link with this a broad
general presentation,

in the classroom, I had a lot of fun with solar balloon, solar cells, cooking
a hot dog with solar power, but also linking with the University of Maryland
team doing Sunrayce

Solar Eagle
/academic/engr/solar_e/solar_e1.htm

Solar Eagle II
/academic/engr/solar_e/solar_e2.htm

Sunrayce '97
http://www.sunrayce.com/

Other Schools Participating in Sunrayce 97
http://www.sunrayce.com/sunrayce/teams/allteams.html

World Solar Challenge
http://www.wsc.org.au

Additional Solar Racing Links
http://www.sunrayce.com/sunrayce/new/links.html
Sunrayce Resources for Teachers: Solar Energy Lesson Plans
http://www.sunrayce.com/sea/education.html
There is a kid story on making a solar car on the George Lucas Educational
Foundation web page.

Race to Knowledge

http://www.edutopia.org/php/article.php?id=Art_886
 25/07/2004

The result of overgrazing on the outskirts of Amman, Jordan.
© FAO, R. Faidutti

In a country that is made up of 90 per cent desert and where water is today
so scarce that it is rationed, one would imagine that everyone uses the
resource respectfully and sparingly.
 But awareness of the problem is one thing and behavior is yet another. For,
while people may be aware of the situation of extreme water scarcity, they do
not always behave accordingly. Now a new education programme in Jordan, Water
Efficiency and Public Information for Action (WEPIA), wants to change this.
 “We don't like the word awareness,” says Hala Dahlan of WEPIA. “It is not
enough. Of course lots of people are aware of the situation but what are they
actually doing about it themselves? WEPIA wants to create more than awareness.
We want to change attitudes and behavior patterns. People's use of the
resource has to change fundamentally and lastingly.”
 To effect this behavioral revolution across all levels of society, WEPIA -
an initiative of the Jordanian Ministry of Water and Irrigation and the
American Academy for Educational Development - has taken a hands-on approach.
Since
its creation in 2000 it has achieved the amendment of several laws, launched
two major media campaigns and designed education programmes for everyone from
toddlers to university students, women, and even imams."

Notice it said, women and even imams.

Way to go

Bonnie Bracey Sutton
[EMAIL PROTECTED] com