A couple of years ago I compared data regarding the number of websites in different languages with the number of people around the world who spoke those languages. For example, at the time there were around 214 million web pages in English, and around 322 million 1st language English speakers, giving a ratio of around 1.5 English speakers per English language web pages. Compare that with 1.83 Icelandic speakers per Icelandic web pages, 28.8 people for Russian, 73 people for Mandarin Chinese, and 1583 people for Arabic. I posted a copy of this chart on my blog last year:

http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2005/03/rss_local_langu.html

andy

Linda Ullah wrote:
Dave, CIndy and others,

Here are some interesting language statistics--just to through this into the discussion:

List of languages by number of native speakers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_speakers

The 30 most spoken languages of the world:http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

The top 10 most widely spoken languages in the world: http://woi.brynmawr.edu/node/402

Most widely spoken languages in the world: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0775272.html

The 50 Most Widely Spoken Languages: http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html

Most spoken languages of our planet: http://www.multilingualplanet.com/most_spoken_languages.htm

Most widely spoken languages in the world:http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0775272.html

This is a ranking of the world's most influential languages: http://www.andaman.org/book/reprints/weber/rep-weber.htm

This one is interesting since Bengali has been one of the languages most talked about in this thread: http://www.matamat.com/article.php?sid=279

My point here is how can the Internet ignore Bengali or any of these languages? Also bear in mind that language and culture are closely related. There are words, expressions and ideas that cannot be fully translated. There is also a beauty in each language that cannot be conveyed through translation. Dave-- I've read translations of Rabindranath Tagore's works in English, but I'm given to understand from people who've read his works in both Bengali and English that I can derive the basic meaning, but not the richness and beauty of his language. Since language and culture are closely related... again Dave, think of the Bengali word for "having fun" which is the same word used for "delicious." This says a lot about Bengali culture that cannot be understood in English--I personally believe we are losing cultures by insisting on English as the language of the Internet and perhaps as the language of the world.

Linda Ullah
Foothill College Krause Center for Innovation
Los Altos Hills CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.foothill.edu/kci