The problem with government funded research, like all other research, is
that I do not have access to the full research project and what exactly
was studied. If you wish to challenge facts based on these studies
(well, you call them misstatements instead of facts), then you must
answer specific questions, or those facts are meaningless.

I will give you an example...someone mentioned in one of the responses
to this that Windows, as-is, comes with a certain set of applications.
Similarly, Linux distributions come with a certain set of applications.
Some have more than others. So, in these studies, which included
applications did they consider? If I took every application available in
the apt-get universe for Debian / Ubuntu and installed them all, I'd
probably have a great deal more vulnerabilities there than on my XP box.
On the other hand, installing MS Office or just Outlook significantly
increases the number of security vulnerabilities a Windows machine has
(so many of my critical updates concern members of the Office family).
It may be argued (and often is) that Windows by itself is crippled. A
fair comparison would be to look at what the Linux distros (and which
distros are we talking about?) have included by default, and then
install the commercially popular equivalents for Windows, so we're
comparing apples to apples.

Were these included in the research study you mentioned? Was the Windows
machine in the study configured to turn off things like the sysadmin
messenger service, or were these left on? Without knowing these things,
the study is meaningless. Just as it is meaningless to give a Linux
operating system a reliability or security score without mentioning
which distro(s) were tested and how they were configured / which
applications were installed.

I'm not bashing Windows so much as pointing out that you should question
your steadfast reliance on these studies. A government study undertaken
by a pro-Microsoft organization, or even a non-biased organization that
doesn't have a great deal of open source expertise, simply isn't going
to produce reliable results.

When statistical research is so easily skewed, and no original
statistics or even use-cases are published, the studies are meaningless.
We are left relying only on real-world experience, which you dismiss as
anecdotal.

To move this away from the Linux vs. Windows argument, I'll ask you
another question: Is it or is it not true that most websites today are
running on an open source platform (Apache)? If this is the case, then I
will grant you that the desktop revolution may have been based on the
Windows operating system and not on Unix if you will grant me that the
entire internet as we know it came about as a result of open source
software, not proprietary vendors.

  Dave.

-------------------
Dave A. Chakrabarti
Projects Coordinator
CTCNet Chicago
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(708) 919 1026
-------------------

Executive Director wrote:
> I guess that I will believe government funded research over anecdotal
> evidence, but that's just me.
> Believe whatever you like, but I have and will continue to challenge
> misstatements of facts, whenever or wherever.
>
> Bash Windows all you like, but the vision of a common interface of Windows,
> not Unix, is what has caused the PC revolution we all benefit from today.
>
> " "CERT's report did not include figures for how quickly vulnerabilities are
> patched once they are discovered. "
>
> See my later email on the Forester research.
>
> Mike
>
> Michael F. Pitsch
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> 2