I have been following the discussion concerning Wikipedia for a while
now. I enjoy browsing through it myself and find the information there
to be mostly accurate. However, I have a problem with using it as a tool
for introducing school children to research. It is not an acceptable
citation for college level work, because it is not actually a verifiable
resource. Once these children enter college they will have to abandon it
and will be taught in library bibliographic instruction classes that it
does not pass muster in terms of higher education website evaluation.
How do you verify the veracity of authors and information from a site
onto which anyone may post information? So I can see the value of
Wikipedia in learning how to evaluate websites, but not in gleaning
authoritative information for research.

Am I way off the mark here? Does anyone know of universities whose
faculty accept Wikipedia citations on student research papers?

Peace,
Carolyn

Carolyn Riddle
Big Bend Community College Library