Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu
<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:
I'm, if anything, at the very low end of credit-beggars foodchain. You
wouldn't believe if I told you about some (rather notorious within the
community) people I know that ought to be a tad more modest :o). I just have
a dim view of not giving credit. Proper credit is extremely easy to give,
costs nothing, and is the right thing to do. The author of ScopeExit clearly
knew everything of ScopeGuard since he linked to it, but did not quite
acknowledge the relationship of his work to ScopeGuard, which should be done
even assuming he developed ScopeExit entirely in isolation. That's just...
you don't do that.

For what it's worth, the D docs page that he links to doesn't mention
your name at all.  I mean, I suppose Walter could give credit for each
feature but that seems a bit out of place in a formal spec.

Only in http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/exception-safe.html are you
actually mentioned, and even there it doesn't really credit you as the
inventor of the idea, just that you argued for it.

I know. What happens is that Walter introduced the construct in the language after he had internalized it so well, he might as well have thought of it himself. Then he changed the syntax, implemented it from scratch, so after all that work it's easy to think, heck, it's my work.

What happens since Walter made a team with Bartosz and myself is that the exchange of ideas is so thick, sometimes it's funny how we all surprise one another candidly assuming paternity (and rightly) for a given concept. For example, for const/immutable my guess is that each of us feels entitled to think of it as his brainchild. (Sorry hasen.) Which is in fact the truth. Same about introducing default-isolation in D. Bartosz was extremely opposed to it in the beginning, I remember a huge debate about it at Kahili. A couple of months later, it was almost his idea :o). I'm no more lucid. Every once in a while I need to remind myself that local instantiation, a very cool feature unique to D, was Walter's idea that I merely stumbled upon. Neither of us initially knew how good it was...

Andrei