On 24.02.2011 21:41, Walter Bright wrote:
Sebastian Schuberth wrote:
On 18.02.2011 11:00, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:

The nice thing is reduction in half of the resulting binary size.

That's indeed nice! The unnecessarily huge size of binaries created with D / Optlink was in fact something hindering me to use D at all!

I'm sure that linker is doing it by writing compressed exe's. This means that it has the same memory footprint, and it loads slower because it must be decompressed. Also, if you store it in a zip file, the zip file won't be any smaller because recompressing compressed data doesn't make it smaller.

Tried that, it's still compresses to roughly 50% of it's size. Well, I no expert but a glance at disassembly shows that at least strings / imports are intact. For what it's worth the IDA control flow analysis shows a bulk of unreferenced procedures in optlink's one.
So maybe the case is that they also included a decent stripper.

--
Dmitry Olshansky