On 24.02.2011 19:41, Walter Bright wrote:

The nice thing is reduction in half of the resulting binary size.

That's indeed nice! The unnecessarily huge size of binaries created
with D / Optlink was in fact something hindering me to use D at all!

I'm sure that linker is doing it by writing compressed exe's. This means
that it has the same memory footprint, and it loads slower because it
must be decompressed. Also, if you store it in a zip file, the zip file

IMHO, that is a common misbelief when it comes to executable compressors. AFAIK, the time required for decompression is overcompensated by the time required to read less data from disk, even still nowadays.

won't be any smaller because recompressing compressed data doesn't make
it smaller.

There really needs to be no compression or back magic involved to make the executable size for a simple program like

---8<---

import std.stdio;

void main(string[] args)
{
    writeln("Hello World, Reloaded");
}

---8<---

smaller than the current 286 KiB! Some dead code elemination would already do, I guess.

--
Sebastian Schuberth