On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:49:33 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a@a.a> wrote:

"Walter Bright" <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:ito7i8$1tb7$1...@digitalmars.com...
On 6/20/2011 12:13 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
I've been guessing that will only happen when DRM starts going away. Than
again, most consumers are complete morons...(The "dancing pigs" theory
and
all that...)

Notice that DRM has faded away on downloadable music.

Has it? I really haven't been paying attention to (legally) downloadable
music since when I did look at it, it was all either heavily DRMed or MP3. I
know the iTunes store started offering DRM-less stuff, but they were
charging extra for it, so I wasn't interested (especially since I could rip
the DRM out myself).

iTunes (at least the music part of it) is DRM free.  You can no longer
download DRM'd songs from apple (and you can re-download DRM-free versions
of any songs you purchased before they made this change for free).

Yes, they are charging more for some songs, and less for others.  But as
far as I know, there is no fee for removing DRM.  The increase in price
was a compromise to get the artists to agree to remove DRM from all the
songs.  They are also charging less in some cases (but probably only on
songs nobody wants :).  The increase is not exorbitant.  From what I
remember it was 1.29 instead of .99 per song.  I don't know the exact
details, I haven't bought many songs from iTunes, my current ripped tracks
are usually good enough :)

-Steve