On 4/5/2012 6:53 PM, Jay Norwood wrote:

I'm curious why win7 is such a dog when removing directories. I see a
lot of disk read activity going on which seems to dominate the delete
time. This doesn't make any sense to me unless there is some file
caching being triggered on files being deleted. I don't see any virus
checker app being triggered ... it all seems to be system read activity.
Maybe I'll try non cached flags, write truncate to 0 length before
deleting and see if that results in faster execution when the files are
deleted...

If you delete a directory containing several hundred thousand directories (each with 4-5 files inside, don't ask), you can see windows freeze for long periods (10+seconds) of time until it is finished, which affects everything up to and including the audio mixing (it starts looping etc).