On Friday, 6 April 2012 at 14:55:14 UTC, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

If you delete a directory containing several hundred thousand directories (each with 4-5 files inside, don't ask), you can see windows freeze for long periods (10+seconds) of time until it is finished, which affects everything up to and including the audio mixing (it starts looping etc).

Yeah, I saw posts by people doing video complaining about such things. One good suggestion was to create may small volumes for separate projects and just do a fast format on them rather than trying to delete folders.

I got procmon to see what is going on. Win7 has doing indexing and thumbnails, and there was some virus checker going on, but you can get rid of those. Still, most of the problem just boils down to the duration of the delete on close being proportional to the size of the file, and apparently related to the access times of the disk. I sometimes see .25 sec duration for a single file during the close of the delete operations on the hard drive.

I've been using an intel 510 series 120GB drive for recording concerts. It is hooked up with an ineo usb3 adaptor to the front panel port of an rme ufx recorder. The laptop is just used as a controller ... the ufx does all the mixing and recording to the hard drive.