On Thursday, 13 June 2013 at 22:30:25 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
What can gdb do in particular that Visual Studio can't?

Not trying to troll, I'm genuinely curious. I googled for advanced gdb tricks to try and find some of the more advanced stuff, but it was all simple things that Visual Studio does (printing variables, disassembling, casting memory to arbitrary types, pretty printing STL containers, conditional/data breakpoints, running commands on hit breakpoints etc.)

Does Visual Studio debugger have some sort of scripts/macros? When I was in a small kernel dev related team, we had a lot of own utility macros for gdb to help debug kernel core dumps, especially for messy cases like stack corruption.