On 6/29/2013 11:39 PM, Joakim wrote:
What do you think of my idea of segmenting the market though? Keep providing a
free-as-in-beer dmd, like you are now, for the people who want it, while Remedy
and others who want performance pay for a dmd that puts out more performant
code, with those improvements slowly merged back into the free dmd over time.

It won't work. Those days are gone.

If you are not interested in selling a paid compiler yourself, I've noted that
there's nothing stopping someone else from doing this.  They can take the dmd
frontend under the Artistic license, compile it with the BSD-licensed llvm
backend and boost-licensed druntime and phobos, and sell a paid compiler,
without any permission from you or any other D contributors.

You could not do anything legally to stop this, as the permissive OSS licenses
allow it.  However, as one of the main authors of this code, do you have any
preference for or against someone taking your code to do this?

Part of issuing it under a permissive license is I won't try to block someone from doing whatever they want to that is allowed by the license.