On Sunday, 30 June 2013 at 03:29:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 6/29/2013 5:08 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
True, distribution was mainly by physical mail. There was some via BBS's and Usenet, but these were severely limited by bandwidth.

I'd receive bug reports by fax, paper listings, and mailed floppies.

This was also the heyday of the BBC Micro in UK schools, and I remember well the shelves full of books of sample programs in BBC Basic. We had lots of fun typing them up, working out how they worked, and then twisting them to our more evil designs.