Joseph Rushton Wakeling:

I haven't yet tried alloca or other manual memory management -- I felt a bit resistant to this as I'd prefer to keep the code simple and readable -- but I'll give that a go too just to see how it goes.

I'd like some stack-allocated variable-length array in D+Phobos, as in C++14. It's also a basis to build several other stack-allocated data structures.

However, my impression now is that having or not having it, or any other method (e.g. enum T0, T1, etc.) makes absolutely no difference, and that I might as well be simple and write 0 for integral-types, 0.0 for floating-point.

Right. And this could be right even if you want T=Rational.

Bye,
bearophile