On 2014-02-16 18:52, Orvid King wrote:

Slices are handled as arrays, because of the fact that they need to be
handled in such a way that many different types of serialization formats
can support them, and be inter-operable with implementations in
languages other than D.

Pointers are not supported, because in my opinion, they should _NEVER_
be serialized.

Why not? Think of languages like C and C++, they only support pointers. Pointers to basic types are not so interesting but pointers to structs are.

Reference types are serialized as they are encountered, I haven't
handled the circular reference case yet.

If the same reference value is encountered multiple times, is it serialized once or multiple times?

Events are not supported due to the fact it would require complete
knowledge of the source and target environments of the serialization.

What? I'm referring to methods being called before and after serialization of a given value.

Custom serialization is supported by either supporting
to!YourType(string) or YourType.parse(string) /
to!string(valueOfYourType) or valueOfYourType.toString(), and are
handled transparently by the base serialization handler, the actual
serialization format sees them simply as strings. Each serialization
format however does have the ability to select any type it wants to
support being serialized.

And third party types are only supported if they have the requisite UDA,
or support custom serialization.

Why require a UDA?
The UDA is required for the exact same reason it's required in the .net
framework, because it makes sure that the type you are trying to
serialize is serialization aware, meaning that it's not serializing
cache fields, and also makes sense to actually be serializing the type.

I prefer opt-out rather than opt-in.

Can it serialize through base class references?

--
/Jacob Carlborg