I believe it's worth the try to get Python-style serialization simplicity to D by default. We use Python cpickle at work and its fantastically simple and fast. It handles just about everthing you need by default as long as you have imported the modules that contain the types involved in the serialization.

It would attract more people from dynamical languages like Python if D got default-powers in std.serialization that does everything that msgpack does plus followings references.

This would make it possible to serialize arbitrary graph-likes structures with potential reference cycles. Resolving these cycles can be solved by using a map that contain a list of references/classs that already have serialized.

I'm however not sure how serialization of base and superclasses should be implemented in the most convenient way. Maybe somehow has a good suggestion for this.