On Thursday, 5 June 2014 at 17:48:44 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2014-06-05 11:25, Chris wrote:

My hard copy arrived today. Now I can read it anywhere I like ;)

Funnily enough, it's only the second book about D and still I've been more productive in D than in any other language, languages for which
thousands of titles are available.

There's a book about D1 and Tango as well. Also some Chinese book, or that might have been a translation.

There's Ali's online tutorial, of course. Great stuff. But a cookbook was really the thing I needed. Just to pick it up and to know "How to send an email" is great.

A lot of stuff here on the forum is about language design, which made D what it is. However, a lot of things in programming are plain and simple everyday problems like having your program send an email. I recently told a coworker to have a look at D and maybe use it for his number crunching algorithms. You can get far in D without templates, mixins and ranges. You don't need to learn them before you can use the language. You learn about them as you go along. You can dig right in. Maybe that's part of the reasons why people are reluctant to use D. They think you have to be a rocket scientist to write a program. You don't. But it will turn you into one :-)