On Thursday, 12 June 2014 at 17:52:59 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 6/12/14, 10:40 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
On 6/10/2014 12:35 PM, justme wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 June 2014 at 06:13:39 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Of possible interest.

IMHO, the coolest thing was when Rob Pike told about the tool they made for automatically upgrading user source code to their next language

That should be quite easy to implement now in D, and once done, would give much needed room for breaking changes we feel should be done. Pike
seemed to be extremely satisfied they did it.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable trusting such a tool. Besides, I find that upgrading a codebase to a newer language version is one of the most trivial tasks I ever face in software development - even in D.

It's a cute trick, but not a worthwhile use of development resources.

I very much think the opposite, drawing from many years of hacking into large codebases. I'm completely with Rob here. On a large codebase, even the slightest manual or semi-manual change is painstaking to plan and execute, and almost always suffers of human errors.

I got convinced a dfix tool would be a strategic component of D's offering going forward.

I thought the same. I was considering writing it, actually. Imagine how having the tool would have influenced the "final by default" discussion. Amongst others, of course.