On 2/1/15 3:52 PM, Jerry Morrison wrote:
On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 22:40:49 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
- Create the D Language Foundation

btw I personally think this is single most important point in the list
that is necessary to actually moved forward with others in focused
manner. But it really depends on how it is defined.

Yes, a production language requires staffing the grunt work like release
planning & management, soundness analysis, usability, documentation, bug
fixing, testing, support, library development, tool development, and
administration. (This must be a common issue for volunteer open-source
projects.)

But first, people need to get on the same page about whether D is going
to “cross the chasm” [1] to a production language with many more users
than developers or remain what looks like a base for language
experiments and hobby projects. I think a lot of grumpiness in the
forums stems from this communication gap.

Well put.

The other big thing missing from the Vision doc is picking a niche,

That may as well come later - or not at all. We don't think it is now time to commit to a particular niche.

*for
example* a compelling destination for programmers & projects currently
stuck in C++.
   * can call a wide range of C++ code [practical transition]
   * real-time, can run w/o GC pauses [projects that are OK with GC
already moved off of C++]
   * familiar, multi-paradigm, fast builds, meta-programming,
concurrency that doesn't kill you
   * simpler, predictable, few pitfalls, few special cases, few design
quirks, orthogonal features
   * memory-safe, overflow-safe, reliable, secure, low maintenance costs

If you're up for that, it may require an incompatible transition (D3?)
e.g. to make const non-transitive for C++ compatibility, to rethink
memory management, and to change or remove incomplete features.

We're not planning for an incompatible revision. I see const transitivity a small problem; good style C++ code enforces transitive const semantics, and guarantees of STL containers have improved in that direction in C++11 (STL containers don't need write locks for const methods).

Andrei