On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 18:21 -0800, Walter Bright via
Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 3/6/2015 2:31 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> > Remember a tab is not a number of spaces, it is semantic markup.
>
> All I can say is good luck with that. ASCII is not a markup language, and
> trying
> to reinvent it as one is doomed to failure.

I try to use Unicode (UTF-8 encoded) languages, restricting to ASCII is
very 1970s.

The use of tab as the indent character is far from failing. Many C++
projects are returning to it, Go enforces it if you let it, many Python
projects are starting to use it in spite of PEP-8. OK so Go enforced
format does alignment as well on the assumption of monospace font. I
dislike that so just carry on with proportional fonts.

ASCII per se is not a markup language, and it retains all the quirks of
teletypes, but that should not stop progress. Unicode replacing ASCII is
one step forward. Rethinking old established rules is always worthwhile:
just because a thing has always been done some way does not make it the
right way, nor should it hinder change.

> I can also say from experience that removing tabs from Phobos source has
> removed
> a lot of irritation with messed up code rendering and wasted effort arguing
> about it. We're not going back :-)

And I am not going to work on Phobos for exactly the same reasons. My
loss, not yours.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.win...@ekiga.net