On Saturday, 10 October 2015 at 01:27:09 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Regardless, what we pretty much need to do with @property at some point is make is that it's used to make it so that a single pair of parens operate on the return value rather than the function even if we don't do anything else with @property

Right, ideally a @proptery function can perfectly replace a variable, but practically calling the return value seems far fetched. What would you use that for, a handwritten interface struct with function pointers made read-only using @property?

To me the whole property discussion looks like one of those endless debates about an insignificant detail.
Scala and Ruby seem to do well with sloppy parens.
With the introduction of UFCS it became clear that nobody likes byLine().array().sort().release(), and even less rng.release.sort().array().front. For some functions it's really hard to decide whether or not something is a property, e.g. for me Range.save is an action/function not a property. So for me using @property appears to waste time making pointless decisions.
  • Beta D 2.069.0-b1 Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Beta D 2.069.0-b1 extrawurst via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Beta D 2.069.... Andrea Fontana via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Beta D 2.069.... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Beta D 2.... Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Beta ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Beta ... Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Meta via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... deadalnix via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-announce