On Saturday, 10 October 2015 at 02:57:03 UTC, Meta wrote:
On Saturday, 10 October 2015 at 02:31:51 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
That's what I meant, weird use-case, at best it's a callback better/setter. I've never written such code, but even if you would, the 2 pairs of parens are only a tiny problem for generic code, nothing to warrant the invasive language feature @property is.

I don't know how much metaprogramming-heavy generic code you've written, but I can say from first-hand experience that there is such a thing as Hell, and it is called Optional Parens.

Jokes aside, I've finally fixed (read: worked around using awful hacks) a bug where the compiler was complaining about either "Type.memberFunction is not callable with arguments ()" or "Need 'this' for Type.memberFunction". I love optional parens in regular code, especially range-based code (doesn't everybody?), but I desperately want a way to ensure that the symbol that I'm trying to pass to a template function won't be interpreted as a function call instead.

To the next person that is going to say this is overblown, I ran into such bugs more than once in phobos.

So, unless we expect most D developer to be better than phobos contributor, that is a problem.