On Monday, 23 November 2015 at 11:12:33 UTC, visitor wrote:

My original solution remembers in the constructor addresses of variables to fill, then does the filling in opAssign operator, so I needed a way to store the references and used pointers for that.

yes, but you are using ref : "auto let(Ts...)(ref Ts vars)"
so vars are changed, no need to store anything, no?
i was wondering if there is some subtleties or efficiency reasons for using pointers

Thanks for the code!
Yep, this way it works too, by capturing input vars in a closure. So the main difference is that your variant allocates GC memory while original variant does not allocate anything in the heap (only on stack).