On Thursday, 24 December 2015 at 16:37:29 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 24/12/15 02:08, Walter Bright wrote:
This has resurfaced on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/3xya5v/so_you_want_to_write_your_own_language/

In the comments, about the cluttered syntax. For the attributes, due to legacy reasons, it seems like D got all the defaults wrong. System instead of safe, mutable instead of immutable, not pure instead of pure and so on. We might not be able to get rid of any attributes but if some of these defaults were different perhaps it would not be necessary to use so many attributes all the time.

I know that many here don't agree but personally I think the language could have less syntax it had AST macros. Some syntax that is built-in now could be moved to library code in the form of macros.

I think it depends a lot on your personal preference. For instance, I am always annoyed about immutable types being forced upon me (okay, they wouldn't be forced, but I'd have to work to get rid of them). I like mutable types.

Regarding the AST macros - I simply don't know enough about how that works in practice to have an opinion. Java doesn't have that stuff, so I don't know what I am missing :-)