On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 at 14:59:09 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:

Meh, sure. But this feels just as difficult as switching to a simple bytecode, without all the benefits.

Indeed.

I am currently designing an IR to feed into the CTFE Evaluator.
I am aware that this could potentially make it harder to get things merged since DMD already has the glue-layer.

However I do think that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks by far. Especially when one looks at the possibility to eventually plug llvm or the gcc-jit in.

My CTFE needs are rather heavy weight. So I will go for a solution that can support this. I believe the pressure on CTFE performance will increase as soon as the preformance increases. Since this will enable much more things.

I.E. running a query optimizer at compile-time.