On Wednesday, 15 June 2016 at 12:00:52 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I'd say the gating factor is -j. If an build system doesn't implement the equivalent of make -j, that's a showstopper.

Don't worry, there is a --threads option and it defaults to the number of logical cores.

I just did some tests and the reason it is slower than Make is because of the automatic dependency detection on every single command. I disabled the automatic dependency detection and compared it with Make again. Button was then roughly the same speed as Make -- sometimes it was faster, sometimes slower. Although, I think getting accurate dependencies at the cost of slightly slower builds is very much a worthwhile trade-off.