On 12/25/2016 02:16 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
Just a few infos on using perf and related tools for profiling on linux.

https://code.dawg.eu/profiling-with-perf-and-friends.html

That's awesome and very easy to follow, reproduce, and tweak.

One thing that would be terrific (also in keep with Vladimir's work https://blog.thecybershadow.net/2015/05/05/is-d-slim-yet/ which btw does not seem to work anymore - clicking on the graph takes to the error page http://digger.k3.1azy.net/trend/) is having an automated tracker of build performance. The tracker would be easily accessible and would flag PRs that decrease compilation speed by more than a tolerance. One OS should be enough for now. We need a clean machine (not shared for many other tasks). The Foundation can provide a Linux machine in my basement. Looking at our A-Team Seb, Vladimir, Martin please let me know if this is something you'd pursue.

Two other things. One, can one aggregate outputs from several perf runs? The unittest builds are likely to exercise other corners of the compiler; they're one per module so they'd entail multiple perf runs.

Second, in my dreams we should have @benchmark unittests in phobos that are run and produce a nice tabular output, for tabulation and plotting. Such output would make it easy to track how performance of the standard library is evolving across releases.

Thanks,

Andrei