On 6/9/17 10:49 AM, Stefan Koch wrote:
On Friday, 9 June 2017 at 12:15:50 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
 [it] can use the *actual* i/o routines [at compile-time] you would
use at runtime is pretty impressive.

Stefan would have a field day with this power :)

Infact I think this would scale pretty badly.
I do not want to debug some ctfe which loads dlls and does god what to
the environment.
Even the restricted form of ctfe D supports is pretty hard to get right.
If I'd had to worry about an interface to runtime code I'd be a little
unhappy.

I kind of remember you saying at dconf2016 "If only CTFE could write to the filesystem, I could fully support sqlite at compile time!"

or something like that.

At least in terms of i/o printing to the console or whatnot, it would be cool to be able to do so at compile-time just directly with writeln. As of now, a CTFE function can't call writeln, and it also can't pragma(msg, ...) because it has to be written as a runtime function.

-Steve