On Tuesday, 1 August 2017 at 14:52:51 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

Mike, I have to say still your talk in 2014 was one of my favorites. One of the things that was so impressive to me was the way you scraped the PDF to generate all the registers automatically. Having worked with STM chips (not ARM, but really basic 8-bit versions), I can definitely appreciate all the work this saves.

I'm not sure my work is worthy of such kind words, but thank you.

The PDF screen utility is here: https://github.com/JinShil/stm32_datasheet_to_d. I'm not sure if it still compiles and works, but I might need to update it someday.

It generates much better code and more complete documentation than svd_to_d. Most silicon vendors don't appear to invest much into their SVD files, so the SVD files are often incomplete and lacking the documentation that makes "good code + a good IDE = a substitute for the datasheet".

If I were creating a professional product, I'd probably prefer scraping the PDF over using the SVD files, or maybe some way to merge the two.

Mike