On Saturday, 6 January 2018 at 01:19:14 UTC, kinke wrote:
Hi everyone,

on behalf of the LDC team, I'm glad to announce LDC 1.7. The highlights of this version in a nutshell:

* Based on D 2.077.1.
* Catching C++ exceptions supported on Linux and Windows.
* LLVM for prebuilt packages upgraded to v5.0.1.

Full release log and downloads: https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.7.0

Thanks to all contributors!

I just dropped here to say that I have been considering Nim and D for a while and, to some extent, Rust. You are guys doing a great job shaping D for *real projects*, which is what I care about the most.

I think I will definitely go with D finally when I try an alternative to C++ (though C++ still remains my main language).

I still have to give it a serious try, but this is what made me convinced:

- a superior interoperability story (C and C++, Objective-C, Windows, now adding the C++ exception catching...). I cannot emphasize enough how important this is for me.
- a reasonable relearning and upgrade coming from C++.
- very powerful generative programming. I see that things like generating bindings for scripting languages and others have an edge with static introspection + mixins.
- more mature than Nim, at least at this point.
- want no gc? Ok, at least there is BetterC, so if I invest myself quite a bit on D (I am the kind of programmer that likes to squeeze power out of machines, so this always means that I will not consider VM languages), I will always have.

I hope I can give it a try with one (or two, to be decided) hobby projects I have been doing for a while. I will report the negative points also as I use it :p. By the way, and a bit off-topic for the post, but, if I want to port my code to run on Android/iOS, what is the recommended way?

1. create a shared library and consume it? Is that possible and smooth enough for ARM?

- easy to understand for
- a superior metaprogramming experience that is