On Thursday, 11 January 2018 at 18:15:23 UTC, rumbu wrote:
[snip]
BUT - a very big but - the most important issue is the formatting thing. Even there is no direct dependency on std.format or std.stdio, the formatting mechanism is designed to fit nicely into phobos formatting paradigm. That means that there is no way to output decimal values on the console without phobos. I confess that 30% of my development time was the formatting feature: displaying correctly any possible combination of width, padding, alignment in 4 different formats (%f, %g, %e, %a) was really a challenge and despite of hundreds of unit tests, I'm not convinced today that I covered all the corner cases. The f*cking %g took me 3 days to find out exactly what is meant to do. More than that, each compiler producer have a different idea about format specifiers. Linking your application against snn, msvcrt or glibc will render completely different results for printf("%g", ...). On top of that, neither the FormatSpec documentation from phobos is something complete and clear...

Ilya has expressed interest in a betterC formatting library for libmir.