On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 at 04:31:42 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
On 03/05/2018 09:23 AM, aberba wrote:
On Saturday, 3 March 2018 at 07:37:38 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
An all-D MySQL/MariaDB client library:
https://github.com/mysql-d/mysql-native

[...]

Is unix socket connection supported? I'm not seeing any information about it in the docs.

It's not currently supported. From the "Additional Notes" section of the readme:

"Normally, MySQL clients connect to a server on the same machine via a Unix socket on *nix systems, and through a named pipe on Windows. Neither of these conventions is currently supported. TCP is used for all connections."
  - https://github.com/mysql-d/mysql-native#additional-notes

I'm not opposed to it being added, but I'm not aware of what benefit it would provide that would big enough to make it a priority. Also, AFAIK, vibe doesn't offer socket support like it does TCP, so vibe users would loose out on the automatic yield-on-io that's a cornerstone of vibe's concurrency design.

UNIX sockets provide a way to securely connect in an enclosed/isolated environment without exposing connection externally. This is used in my company in our microservice infrastructure on Google Cloud: we connect to our db instance using a proxy and its the recommended approach in microservices.

Its a very common security practice. The default approach on Google Cloud. I would do the same for any db I want to prevent external access to. If vibe.d doesn't support it then its missing a big piece of a puzzle.
  • mysql-native v2.1.0 Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: mysql-nativ... aberba via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: mysql-n... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: mys... aberba via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Martin Tschierschke via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... aberba via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Martin Tschierschke via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: mys... Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: mysql-nativ... bauss via Digitalmars-d-announce