On 3/5/18 6:40 PM, Atila Neves wrote:
On Monday, 5 March 2018 at 17:47:13 UTC, Seb wrote:
On Monday, 5 March 2018 at 15:16:14 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
On Saturday, 3 March 2018 at 01:50:25 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
Glad to announce D 2.079.0.

This release comes with experimental `@nogc` exception throwing (-dip1008), a lazily initialized GC, better support for minimal runtimes, and an experimental Windows toolchain based on the lld linker and MinGW import libraries. See the changelog for more details.

Thanks to everyone involved in this 👏 https://dlang.org/changelog/2.079.0.html#contributors.

http://dlang.org/download.html http://dlang.org/changelog/2.079.0.html

- -Martin

Is is just me or did this release just break the latest non-beta vibe.d? Is the Jenkins build testing the dub packages on master instead of the latest tag?

Atila

https://github.com/vibe-d/vibe.d/issues/2058

It's great that there's an issue for vibe.

This doesn't change the fact that right now, somebody trying D for the 1st time with the latest official compiler will get an error if they try out the most popular dub package that I know of if they follow the instructions on code.dlang.org.

It also doesn't change that I can't upgrade dmd on our CI at work because it can't compile vibe unless I change dozens of dub.sdl files to use a beta version. This breaks semver!

I found out about this after removing a dependency on stdx.data.json since dmd >= 2.078.0 broke it (by breaking taggedalgebraic. Yes, I filed a bug.). I can upgrade from 2.077.1 to 2.078.3,but not 2.079.0.

I'd have a snowball's chance in hell convincing anyone at a "regular" company of adopting D if anyone there even imagined any of the above could happen.

We have to do better than this.

std.experimental is supposed to be allowed to be broken.

That being said, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have std.experimental be in its own repository. This allows selection of the dependency on std.experimental separate from phobos. It still would be an "official" dlang package, and might even be included in the distribution (the latest version anyway), and docs included on the website. But if needed, you could have your dub package depend on a prior version.

-Steve
  • Re: Release D 2.079.0 Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Release D 2.079.0 Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Release D 2.0... Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Release D... psychoticRabbit via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Release D... Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Release D... Adam Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Relea... Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Release D... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Relea... Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Paolo Invernizzi via Digitalmars-d-announce